The contact center industry is a truly massive provider of employment. But it isn’t even slightly close to reaching its potential as an employer.
Part of the problem is agent offshoring. This cost-saving exercise takes away huge numbers of local jobs – and it ends up costing companies more in the end. Because customers don’t like dealing with agents who don’t understand their culture.
Truly, contact center service providers are stuck in the past. We’re talking about software that actually works against contact centers. It also works against agents and customers. It’s the major thing holding this industry back from its beautiful potential.
But today we’ve got the power to change this. The cloud-based tech we have at our disposal can completely transform the industry.
That’s really why we started ZaiLab. We want to transform the industry.
And here we are.
April 1, 2014
May 1, 2014
ZaiKiosk design begins
May 1, 2015
ZaiPod executive design begins
May 1, 2015
November 1, 2015
January 1, 2016
first prototype of ZaiKiosk
January 1, 2016
first prototype of ZaiPod Executive
January 1, 2016
ZaiPod Eco design begins
February 1, 2016
ZaiAgent Console design begins
February 1, 2016
first prototype of ZaiAgent Console
May 1, 2016
first prototype of ZaiPod Eco
July 1, 2016
ZaiTruck design begins
July 1, 2016
our first beta client signs up
December 1, 2016
our offices are completed
December 1, 2016
maiden drive of ZaiTruck
August 1, 2017
our Delft incubation center opens
March 1, 2018
ZaiLab launches in the USA
March 1, 2018
We believe that there are two types of worker: the nine-to-five worker and the owner. You choose which one you want to be. At ZaiLab we’re blessed with an ownership mentality. People often ask us how we go about creating a culture of ownership. The answer is so simple: we create a culture of ownership by making literal owners of the people who work here. We mean that very directly. We’ve set aside 25% of this business for our people. If our crew show themselves to act as owners – no matter what it is that they do in the business – they get shares. Real shares. ‘There is nothing more freeing than financial independence,’ says Nour Addine. ‘And I can think of no greater gift for the people who drive this business than that.’
Nour Addine Ayyoub
CEO and founder
Nour Addine Ayyoub is an entrepreneur’s entrepreneur. He’s always had his eye on a prize of his own, from the day he started teaching himself programming back when he was a lad. That attitude and natural aptitude served him well when he staked a claim on part of South Africa’s banking landscape. Virtually singlehandedly he built a piece of software that went on to colonize 70% of the unsecured lending market. He went on to cofound Old Mutual Finance, which speaks for itself. Ready once more to break away from the corporate fold, he stepped up to start ZaiLab and bring sexy back to the contact center world.
Chief Technology Officer
With nigh two decades of development experience, Ahmed is what you might call a seasoned veteran of the software world. Much like Nour Addine, Ahmed is an entrepreneurial spirit through and through, having run equiBIT, a massively successful consulting practice whose client base covered banking, insurance, healthcare and trading. His time as a sought-after consultant and Agile coach gave him a bewilderingly vast variety of experience (including, vitally for us, the Spring Framework), and left him with that rarest of abilities: being able to pull large, diverse teams together and have them work toward a common cause.
Do you think the skills gained from studying neurobiology would be readily transferable to a business setting? If you answered ‘yes’, you’re superbly correct. Because Catherine, who has a master’s in the field, is a business analyst extraordinaire. Having followed Nour Addine from Old Mutual Finance, Catherine is now responsible for ZaiLab’s product direction at the highest level. Her big-picture savvy is matched only by her ultra-practical get-it-done approach, making her that impossible-to-find person capable of capturing dreams and driving them through to the last detail.
ZaiLab acquired XYZ Design in 2015 and in the process won itself a globally celebrated industrial designer. Having graduated cum laude from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Roelf spent the next 40 years amassing a spectacular portfolio of achievements – some of which have been exhibited by the Museum of Modern Art in New York, USA. He and his team have already made a significant mark on ZaiLab’s design DNA, having masterminded a suite of exquisite hardware and furniture. They were also responsible for designing and building our incredible space truck.
Chief sales officer
Fokion is a proven sales powerhouse in the contact center realm. Immediately prior to his sign-up with ZaiLab he spent nearly seven years being insufferably good at his job as Interactive Intelligence’s area director and head of sales for Africa. In that time he consistently cannoned past his annual targets – just as he did when he held sway over sales and operations for Bytes Intelleca’s hosted contact center unit in South Africa. With an educational background in business and electrical engineering, and over 20 years’ experience in telecommunications, he’s clearly not messing about.
Vice President - Sales and Marketing, North America
Michael Cibelli joins the Zailab team bringing 25 years of sales, marketing, and business development experience. Michael's diverse background of both Direct and Indirect Channel sales, in very competitive, high-tech marketplaces, provides a unique skill set, along with an abundance of partnerships and alliances. His energy, contacts, experience and ability to strategically implement and execute will enable ZaiLab to prosper quickly in the US and North America markets.
Chief Financial Officer
Steve Bach, joins as Zailab's CFO. Steve has over 20 years of finance and operations experience, primarily with emerging, venture-capital backed technology companies. His experience in fundraising and managing growth will be instrumental in helping implement Zailab's expansion into North America.
What people say about us
We can blow our own trumpets as much as we like, but really, it makes more sense for our customers and supporters to do the heavy lifting here.
We are a software house based in Ireland with a development arm in Cape Town. We are challenging the way contact center software is designed and built to disrupt a sleeping industry. We're looking for enthusiastic, passionate and technically strong Java developers to join our team.
As a senior Java developer you will be responsible for Java/Java EE application development and will also provide expertise throughout the entire SDLC from analysis, design, testing and implementation of high quality software solutions. Successful applicants must demonstrate experience building high performing, scalable, enterprise grade solutions through developing and maintaining Java based components and interfaces.
We are seeking individuals with a creative approach to problem solving and a vision for how software can drive change and empower people. We value teamwork in our organisation and you will find yourself being part of a talented team of software experts delivering mission-critical applications. We seek individuals who are passionate about software development, live quality software and are in a position to contribute to coaching and mentoring of other team members in the organisation.
Travel to the USA, Mexico and Europe may be required at times.
- Design and develop high-volume, low-latency applications for mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance
- Contribute in all phases of the systems development lifecycle
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code
- Ensure designs are in compliance with specifications
- Prepare and produce releases of software components
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review
Desired skills and Experience:
- 5 years software development experience
- 5 years development and delivery experience with Java
- 5 years development and delivery with the Spring Framework
- Hands on experience in designing, developing and implementing applications using Java EE platforms
- Great OO skills, including strong design patterns knowledge
- Experience in an Agile and Scrum environment
- Experience with Domain Driven Design and Behaviour Driven Development
- Knowledge and experience with software best practices like test driven development and continuous integration.
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (Hibernate).
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
- Experience with source and version control systems such as Github and Bitbucket
- Experience with cloud computing platforms such as Cloud Foundry, Amazon Web Services and Heroku
- Experience building RESTful web services
- Experience using Apache Tomcat, XML and JSON
Min 3-4yrs experience, salary dependent on experience but roughly R35-60k
Intermediary Product Owner / Business Analyst
We are a software house based in Ireland with a development arm in Cape Town. We are challenging the way contact centre software is designed and built to disrupt a sleeping industry. We are looking for excellent analysts who are deep thinkers, who can manage a team, understand the difference between nice-to-haves and must haves and how to prioritise work accordingly.
We use agile-methodologies to build software. Our culture suits individuals who are self-motivated and are able to self-manage. We lead through servant leadership. This is to ensure that individuals are always assessed to ensure that they are playing to their strengths and interests.
- We are looking for an individual with at least 3 years experience in either a product owner or business analyst role.
- Experience in analyses and solution design for software products
- Familiarity with agile methodologies favourable
- Contact Centre knowledge favourable
- FTI Business Analysis Diploma favourable
- R25 – 35K (depending on experience)
- Research into best practice, understanding the competitor landscape, as well as learning about the contact centre industry
- Input into the strategic roadmap of the entire development team
- Analysing features from the roadmap in depth
- Running collaboration session within your team to determine UI/UX sessions
- Converting the analysis into stories (must haves, nice to haves, should haves)
- Prioritising and deprioritising stories
- Testing features